Monday, June 22, 2009

Korea at last

I finally made it!!!
That was the longest and most uncomfortable airplane ride I have ever made in my life, but completely worth it. I have very, very much to say and not a whole lot of time but I will say what I can. As soon as I can find an outlet converter I will charge my computer and use it to download all of the pictures from the flight over. As I already mentioned, it was a very long flight. Due to crying babies and barking dogs I didn't get a whole lot of sleep in the 24 hours it took to get here, but its all good. Japan wasn't that interesting because I didn't get to leave the airport, but they did have green tea Kit-Kat chocolate which was pretty good. I noticed many people wearing masks on the ride over and as soon as we landed in Korea we had to get our temperature taken, all in precaution geared by the swine flu epidemic. Once in Seoul we took a 3 hour bus ride to Daejeon where we are staying at Hannam University. I met my roommates, all of which are very nice. Noah is originally from Maine, D (who's real name I can't pronounce) is from Serbia, a European country, and I have one other roommate who's origin or name I cannot remember, but he was nice as well. It is very safe here and I have been given 4 keys, one card key to get into the dorm floor, one to get into our room, one for my closet and another for my dresser. Although there is so much security it doesn't feel like it is really necessary because the only danger I have seen here so far is the way people drive, and believe me, that takes the cake on danger. I have never heard a city bus peel out before, but I think our bus driver last night used to be a NASCAR driver because he floored it at every light. There are many differences as well, one being the complicated color coding system for recycling. I cannot read the signs to figure what trash goes in what bin and I figured out the green one was compost the hard way. Also your shoes have to come off almost everywhere. We take themm off at the dorm room door and have special shower and bathroom shoes. The best thing I have noticed so far is that the food is cheap! I had a bulgogi burger and gatorade for breakfast and it cost me under two american dollars. Well it is almost 11 am here and 9 pm there, so I will sign off and go eat lunch. Feel free to respond via blog or email anytime, it will be nice to communicate to someone who speaks English.
Annyonghi Kaysayo! -Josh

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it there safely and I look forward to hearing more about your experiences

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were dogs on the airplane?!?!?

    ReplyDelete